Some of the things I use to get work done & have some fun.
(Updated November 13, 2017)
• Apple 13″ MacBook Air – Dual Core i7, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM. Great machine.
• Apple 21.5″ iMac – Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB Fusion Drive, etc. Another great machine.
Apple iPhone 7 – Upgraded from the iPhone 6s mostly because AT&T gave me a deal too good to pass up. Im waiting on an iPhone 8 or iPhone X for now. For now.
• Apple iPad – I use this for a lot of things these days: writing, YouTube, email, reading, etc. Considering an upgrade to the iPad Pro. But for now, this one does the job.
• Olympia SM3 and/or Olympia SM9 – Yes, I also use a typewriter or two to get work done. Both of these were made in West Germany (one in the 50’s and one in the 70’s) and both work great. If you haven’t tried a typewriter before, give it a try. You just might love it.
• Apple Mail – It has some issues, but I still use it for most of my email accounts. I also use Apple’s Calendar and Contacts apps because I’m used to them and they’re adequate for my needs.
• Dropbox – I had left the fold for a bit (for Google), but now I’m back. It’s just so useful I couldn’t stay away.
• Final Draft – The best screenplay writing software available for OS X and the iPad.
• Pixelmator – A great photo editing and cropping/resizing tool I use every day on the Mac.
• Transmit – The best FTP software available for OS X.
• Ulysses – Use this every day now for writing pretty much everything except screenplays. Works great and syncs seamlessly between the Mac, iPad and iPhone. Although they’ve switched to a subscription model, I’ll stay with them because I love the app and because I like to support small developers.
• Leica M6 – I’m shooting mostly film (and black & white in particular) these days. Simply put, I prefer the process of it and I find the results more pleasing. This camera is wonderful, especially when combined with a great lens like a 50mm Summicron 2.0 or a Zeiss 35mm 2.8. I take it pretty much everywhere.
• Nikon FM2n – My other film camera. This one’s a tank and I’ll always be a Nikon user. Works great with a Nikon 50mm 1.4.
Kodak Tri-X – A classic for as long as I’ve been alive.
Ilford HP5 – I’ve always been pretty much 100% Tri-X, but this filmstock is growing on me. Plus, it’s less expensive than Tri-X, which doesn’t hurt.
• Fuji X100T – It’s small but it takes amazing pictures.
• Lightroom – In the past I used Photoshop all the time, but now Lightroom is pretty much all I use. But I still have Photoshop . . . just in case.
Pens, Pencils, Paper
• Field Notes Notebooks – I use a notebook daily. These rock and are small enough to take pretty much anywhere. I always have one handy, just in case.
• Rhodia Webnotebook – After using my venerable Moleskines for over fifteen years, I made the switch to these notebooks from Rhodia. I love the way they’re put together and how well the paper holds pencils and ink. Beautiful notebooks that are a pleasure to use.
• Palomino Blackwing 602 pencils. Sure, they look kinda weird, but they write nice. Has replaced the Mirado as my number one wood pencil.
• Uni-ball 207 – My favorite gel pen.
• Lamy Safari – Relatively inexpensive and a great pen to write with. My new favorite. I have a few. You should have one too.
• Kweco AL Sport – Another great fountain pen. More expensive than the TWSBI, but if you like fountain pens, worth it. Small, but mighty. I take it pretty much everywhere and it writes great.
Support & Motivation
• MoccaMaster Coffee Maker – This amazing coffee maker from the Netherlands is the ultimate device to make coffee at home. I use it each and every day.
• Baratza Preciso – If you make coffee at home, you need a good coffee grinder. This one does the job very well.
• Victorinox Swiss Army Cadet in Black Alox – I think you should always have a pocket knife. They really come in handy. This is my current EDC. Besides its stainless steel blade, it also has the requisite bottle opener, small screw driver and nail file, just in case.
One More Thing
The above are all things I personally use and paid for with my own money. No company or individual has provided consideration in any form to influence my opinion. If they had, I would disclose it. Just so you know.